Logo File Requirements
Here's everything you need to know before you send us your logo file.
So, the first thing you need to know is that engraving is different than printing, and because of that we need a different file type than the majority of logo files you've worked with.
- The high res files you've used to create brochures, signage, or other marketing materials, won't work for engraving. Those are Raster File Types, which are composed of a grid of pixels - perfect for printing, but terrible for engraving.
- For engraving we do need high resolution, but we need a solid black line Vector File Type. Vector File Types are images composed of connecting lines, points, curves, and shapes. These are the file types needed to scale a logo and retain an extremely crisp line - which is exactly what we need to engrave your logo perfectly in glass, crystal, wood, or metal.
Acceptable file formats:
- .AI (Adobe Illustrator), .EPS, PDF vector artwork that has all the text converted to curves or outlines. Adobe Illustrator files should not contain any imported images with an active link.
- TIFF, BMP, JPG, PNG or other Raster images that are black and white camera ready artwork. No Gray-scale. Below is a more detailed explanation.
- For 3D Graphics the best file format is .MAX and preferred file formats are .OBJ, .IGS, .STL, .DAE, .FBX, .SKP, .DWG, or .STP
Solid Black Line Art:
- Solid black line art is required for engraving glass, crystal, marble, wood, plastic, and aluminum.
- Solid black line art contains black lines only.
- No shades of gray or halftones can be used when the art files sent to us (engraving machines do not recognize grey or half tones).
- Most of our processes require a minimum of 300 dpi resolution.
- Graphics designed for use on the internet will not work for engraving as they are typically 72 or 96 DPI.
- Art should be submitted in the highest possible resolution or VECTOR form.
- Color art can be used on any products that are imprinted such as plaques, and aluminum plates used with glass awards.
- If specific color matches are required, you will need to provide Pantone numbers to identify each color. There are additional charges for Pantone matching services.
- We can not guarantee exact color matches, but we can come extremely close.
- We are a PC based company.
What if you don't have the file type we need?
No worries. We can convert your low resolution files to the file type we need. Sometimes it is a simple conversion, and sometimes we have to completely redraw your logo. The charge to do this varies with the materials you send us, but typical conversions cost between $50-$150 for us to rework. We'll review your materials and provide you with an estimate for the work. This can be added to your product order. Generally we'll need two-three days additional for the conversion.